Water is one of the 5 essential elements of which nature is made up of. Water covers almost 70% of the earth’s surface, and it makes up about 60% of the human body. It is a tasteless, transparent, and odorless liquid whose chemical formula is H2O. Every living organism requires water to survive. It is one of the essential components of a living cell.
Drinking water directly from the tap is hazardous as most of the water sources are polluted nowadays. Every home needs safe and clean drinking water. In the current scenario, a home without a water purifier is prone to almost all water-borne diseases!
Sources of Water
Water comes from many sources. Some common causes of water are:
- Natural freshwater (Ex. Lakes, glacial melt, rivers, etc.)
- Rain Water
- Oceans (Ex. Salty seawater)
How to measure the cleanliness of water?
Water needs to be free from chemicals and minerals such as Fluorine, Arsenic, Nitrate, Magnesium, Iron, Chlorine, and TDS (Total Dissolved Solids). pH also is a good measure for the cleanliness of the water.
What is TDS?
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) is the number of dissolved substances present in the water. It includes both organic and inorganic materials. It denotes the concentration of these substances after evaporating the water completely.
It is indicated in parts per million (ppm). Lower the value of TDS, cleaner, and safer the water is, for drinking purpose. A TDS of less than 300 ppm is excellent for drinking purposes. TDS of above 900 ppm is unacceptable for drinking.
Selecting the Best Water Purifier for your Home:
To choose the best water purifier for home, you need to know the type of water purifiers available in the market. The 3 main types of water purifiers are as follows:
- RO (Reverse Osmosis) Water Purifier
- UV (Ultraviolet) Water Purifier
- UF (Ultrafilter) Water Purifier
RO Water Purifiers:
Osmosis is a process where water from a clear/dilute solution passes through a semi-permeable membrane to a concentrated solution. This process increases the pressure on the side of the concentrated solution until both the liquids reach an equilibrium. The semi-permeable membrane does not allow larger molecules and impurities to pass through it.
The reverse of this process is reverse osmosis. Water flows from the highly concentrated side (impure water) through the semi-permeable membrane to the transparent/dilute side (Pure water), when pressure is applied on the bright side.
RO Water Purifiers are ideal when the water source for your home has a high TDS level. It will convert hard water into soft water. But it also generates a lot of wastewater which can be used for other purposes like vessel washing, gardening, etc.
UV Water Purifiers
UV rays are used to disinfect the water from contaminants and microorganisms. UV rays are emitted on the water which flows through a chamber, to purify it. It can kill 99.9% of microbes in such waters.
UV water purifiers can be used in homes when they have a soft water source like municipality water, well water, etc. But it does not affect other metal and chemical contaminants. It can only kill biological contaminants. It is very cost-effective and does not alter the taste of water.
UF Water Purifiers
Ultrafiltration is a process where water passes through a membrane similar to the one in the RO process, but the UF membrane has bigger pores, and it allows dissolved molecules and salts to pass through. It completely removes microorganisms, including the smallest germs (bacteria and viruses) without the use of electricity, but not dissolved components.
This type of UF water purifiers is suitable when you know that the water in your home is not chemically contaminated. It is cost-efficient in removing microorganisms and other dust particles (except TDS), and it works without electricity.
Also Read: Tips to Improve Senior Mental Health
Other Factors to be Considered
- Storage Capacity: In areas prone to power cuts, the storage capacity needs to be higher to get uninterrupted supply of clean water from the purifier. If that is not an issue in your area, you can opt for a small storage capacity purifier.
- Percentage of TDS Removal: This is one crucial thing to consider because it will denote the number of TDS that is removed after you install the water purifier. You need to do a before and after the test to verify this.
- Type of Mount: Depending on where you would like to place your purifier, check whether it is a Wall-mount or a Table-top purifier.
- Maintenance and Service: A reputed brand offering excellent customer service is also a must. Check their reviews before making your final decision. A product which would cause a lot of problems often is not worth buying in the first place. RO Care India provides customer care services where you can contact them directly for service and maintenance. They also have AMC plans for their products.
- Certification: A properly certified brand can be trusted. Look for certifications received by the brand to know about their authenticity.
With the rise in water pollution each day, it has become a necessity to have the best water purifier in the market suiting your requirements. Thus, every home needs a water purifier suiting its water source. With the knowledge shared above, it would be easier to choose which type of water purifier you would want for your home. There are several sites which offer you the best deals at water purifier thus buy the water purifier online and be healthy.